The clock's a-tickin'
On my 25th birthday three years ago, I blogged about the last decade of my birthdays. I ended this ramble with a list of things that, at the time, I wanted to accomplish before I turned 30. Now, having just turned 28 last Friday and being increasingly unsure of what I'm doing with my life, I figured that there's no time like the present to revisit my list:
1. Use the word akimbo in a game of Scrabble.
WOW. I can't believe that this was the top of my list and that I've had this goal for three years...and I still haven't been able to find that perfect harmony of Scrabble tiles to enliven this dream. I do, though, regularly talk about playing this word; I now select friends based on whether they know the meaning of "akimbo."
2. Get something other than my work-related articles published.
In my staff bio that I wrote two months ago, this was my goal for the year. I'm glad to see that so far I'm being consistent...I still have these same goals.
3. Figure out what I want to be when I grow up.
Ha, I've spent the last three years doing serious research into what I DON'T want to be.
4. Find wuv, twoo wuv.
Now more than ever. Actually, I might be happy getting laid just a few times, then finding wuv after that.
5. Wash my dishes.
[Looking over to the sink...] Yep, still need to do that. Luckily, they're different dishes than they were three years ago, so I've got that going for me, which is nice.
6. Change the template on this blog (I'm trying, Jenna!)
Jenna was someone who read my blog back in the day and thanks to her I DID change my template. I can cross something totally inconsequential off my list! Yay!
7. Pay off a credit card (god, I am funny)
I'm getting closer...it would have helped me in the last few years if I didn't have a slew of health problems, if the hard drive on my computer didn't die, and if my car didn't catch on fire -- I could be a lot closer to paying off my balance if not for those hiccups.
8. Buy a car cooler than my minivan
I don't even have a car now. The minivan, post-fire/post-me-accidentally-hitting-a-bank-with-it, was not worth bringing to Cayman. So, I would be happy to have any car right now, even if it were a minivan.
9. Visit family in god-forsaken Ohio.
I did this! I accompanied my mom up there for a weekend in April. Now I just need to see the other half of my family there; sadly, they live in a less cool area (I know -- "less cool than Cleveland? Is there such a thing?"), so I think I might continue to be a bad granddaughter/niece/cousin/person for a little while longer.
10. Finish all the knitting projects I've started this year.
This will never happen. Ever -- especially now that I live in a country that doesn't sell yarn, knitting needles, or related notions.
I actually don't have anything to add to this list, which is good because my combined various to-do lists are long enough. Someone else might say, "be a kinder person," but I'm in touch with reality and know that I'll need a lot more than two years to make that happen.
1. Use the word akimbo in a game of Scrabble.
WOW. I can't believe that this was the top of my list and that I've had this goal for three years...and I still haven't been able to find that perfect harmony of Scrabble tiles to enliven this dream. I do, though, regularly talk about playing this word; I now select friends based on whether they know the meaning of "akimbo."
2. Get something other than my work-related articles published.
In my staff bio that I wrote two months ago, this was my goal for the year. I'm glad to see that so far I'm being consistent...I still have these same goals.
3. Figure out what I want to be when I grow up.
Ha, I've spent the last three years doing serious research into what I DON'T want to be.
4. Find wuv, twoo wuv.
Now more than ever. Actually, I might be happy getting laid just a few times, then finding wuv after that.
5. Wash my dishes.
[Looking over to the sink...] Yep, still need to do that. Luckily, they're different dishes than they were three years ago, so I've got that going for me, which is nice.
6. Change the template on this blog (I'm trying, Jenna!)
Jenna was someone who read my blog back in the day and thanks to her I DID change my template. I can cross something totally inconsequential off my list! Yay!
7. Pay off a credit card (god, I am funny)
I'm getting closer...it would have helped me in the last few years if I didn't have a slew of health problems, if the hard drive on my computer didn't die, and if my car didn't catch on fire -- I could be a lot closer to paying off my balance if not for those hiccups.
8. Buy a car cooler than my minivan
I don't even have a car now. The minivan, post-fire/post-me-accidentally-hitting-a-bank-with-it, was not worth bringing to Cayman. So, I would be happy to have any car right now, even if it were a minivan.
9. Visit family in god-forsaken Ohio.
I did this! I accompanied my mom up there for a weekend in April. Now I just need to see the other half of my family there; sadly, they live in a less cool area (I know -- "less cool than Cleveland? Is there such a thing?"), so I think I might continue to be a bad granddaughter/niece/cousin/person for a little while longer.
10. Finish all the knitting projects I've started this year.
This will never happen. Ever -- especially now that I live in a country that doesn't sell yarn, knitting needles, or related notions.
I actually don't have anything to add to this list, which is good because my combined various to-do lists are long enough. Someone else might say, "be a kinder person," but I'm in touch with reality and know that I'll need a lot more than two years to make that happen.
Labels: akimbo, birthdays, lists, old blog posts, Scrabble

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home