Monday, June 26, 2006

Some butterflies may be dead, but I am not

It's been a busy June over here in Zoo town. For one, I've moved out of the house where I was house-sitting. I've struggled with the wording to that sentence. Did I move out of the house I was sitting? Or did I move out of the house I sat? Both of those sound incredibly strange, so I moved out of the house I was house-sitting and into a room -- yes, a room -- in a house across town. As I've said before, this is not where I wanted to be at this point in my life, but I took a big-ass pay cut to come here, so this is all my doing. Damn my doing.

Things at my new museum are q-u-i-e-t. It's very different from the Nature Center -- and I'm not just talking about the sudden absence of toad urine from my life. Everyone I work with is in their 60s or older, we have very few kids visiting (hence, they hired me), and, oh yeah, I'm supposed to teach people about local history now. Needless to say, history is a tougher sell than snakes, alligators, toads, oh my.

The most exciting thing going on at work is that the woman who I replaced -- who was fired a year ago -- is suing us and everyone is giving their witness interviews this week. She has no case -- which is one of the reasons three lawyers have quit on her -- but she also has no life, and so the case persists. I wouldn't put it past her to walk in the museum with a gun one of these days. However, that would be the most proactive thing she's ever done regarding the museum (can you tell I'm worn out from cleaning up her messes?).

I've got to cut this short as I have to go on over to Lepidoptera Lady and copy and paste my posts into a Word document. So that I may print my blog and frame it for all posterity? No, not so much. I'm going to try to cobble together a 5-10 page sample "manuscript" for my application to an environmental writing institute that will be held at the U in the fall. Sharman Apt Russell, author of An Obsession with Butterflies (also goes by the subtitle: "The Book that Changed BPW's Life"), is leading the institute, so I have to get in.

So, I hope that things settle down enough one of these days so that I can write a proper post and let you know all about my agoraphobia and other fun things. However, the weather is FINALLY warm, so that day may be a long time coming. In the meantime, I ask you this:

Ted: Why do you know so much about Meat Loaf? I don't know whether to be impressed or alarmed.

Lily B: Your husband downloaded the long version and made you listen to it? Does he not like you? (and, yes, Hemingway's lack of punctuation is plenty reason not to like him. In fact, The Old Man and the Sea is plenty reason not to like him)

JMB: Not so much a question, but, hey, July 5 is next week! Woo hoo!

4 Comments:

Blogger JB said...

Nope, no question there. Just a pondering to myself. But listed on your page, so maybe a question after-all? My grammar is terrible. oh well. you get the point? yes no?

bad experience with passing notes to girls in 3rd grade - probably the cause.
Good luck with all your work - sounds like you will be busy.


JMB

10:18 PM  
Blogger Amy N. said...

Hee. I think it was more of a fascinated amusement that he wanted to share.

I'll grant you the point on Hemingway. :)

2:06 AM  
Blogger JB said...

Where are you?

1:38 PM  
Blogger JB said...

skills - who knew? I didn't. I'm enjoying it. I know what you mean about the sun - it's hotter than the hinges of hell here and i cannot even bring myself to get outside. IT's TOO hot. My dog hates me now, all he wants to do is swim, but i'm neck deep in wood and hating the heat right now. So why the doldrums? I have the same kind of draining job. I just try and turn it 'off' when i walk out the door. it's tough, but sometimes it can be done. I know I won't be at this job forever; Which is depressing in itself, cause why do we waste our time with it if we don't enjoy it/ pays the bills in my case.

anywho...good luck -

JMB

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home