Gators, gators everywhere

We have adult male and female alligators who have lived
together at the Nature Center since 1991 (see the happy couple at left). Every spring, these two mate like crazy -- in the morning, in the afternoon, in the middle of laser shows (the planetarium is right next to their pond; the vibrations from the music in the shows (Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin) sends them, and the teenagers attending the shows, into breeding mode). Every summer, the female climbs out of the pond and into the palmettos in their enclosure, digs a nest, and lays a bunch of eggs (one female can lay about 50 eggs). And every fall, none of the eggs hatch; they are always sterile.
So, for years, we have thought that one, or both, of the adult alligators had a fertility problem. Then, a few days ago, staff came in and found 18 tiny alligators swimming around
the pond. I can't say that we're exactly thrilled at this development because now we have to find homes for all these hideously cute creatures, but it's still pretty neat. I really have to fight the urge to put them in my mouth they're just so darn tiny and adorable (from nose to the end of the tail they each measure about 9 inches). The picture on the right is of a 1-day-old gator; I have to remind myself that one day that little one will be 12-feet-long, several hundred pounds, and that it will have the ability to eat me (but only if I harass it; alligators have a natural fear of humans).
No one knows why this brood hatched; maybe it was the full moon, or the return of Desperate Housewives (the gators were, after all, born on a Sunday) -- it's a mystery.
In other news, I'm looking for a travel companion to join me in Costa Rica in the near future. The other week, I decided that I needed to get the hell out of the country for a little while. I started pricing airfare to places I've wanted to visit, and found that Costa Rica is by far the cheapest to travel to (plane tickets from Miami to San Jose are half as much as those from Tampa to anywhere in the Pacific Northwest).
Then I ran into the many splendored, much-drooled-upon ex-boyfriend. Funny thing about the ex -- he left last weekend for Costa Rica for one month (or possibly more; I fully expect him to move there). We talked all night and then some, and he urged me to go down there, too. So, I started to consider this idea even more seriously, downloaded a passport application, and asked my mom for my birth certificate.
While talking to my mom about wanting to get a passport so that I can leave -- and before telling her my plans -- she said to me, "You know where you should go? Costa Rica. I just read about a woman who quit her job here, moved down there, openened a restaurant, and now couldn't be happier." Ah, you see? I was meant to go there.
The problem is that I don't want to go alone. I have never left the country and my Spanish is woefully out of practice. So, I'm putting a call out to anyone who is interested in going to Costa Rica for a week and a half or maybe more. Anyone. I'm not even kidding. I've set up an email address for all inquiries: themalachite at yahoo dot com. Tell your friends. I'd like to go in November (you know, as soon as possible because I can't stand being at work any longer, despite ridiculously cute tiny reptiles), but I'm flexible. My main interest is, of course, seeing as many butterflies as possible (shameless plug: I finally updated Lepidoptera Lady, so get thee over there) and traveling on the cheap, since I am poor. But I don't want to go alone, nor hinge my plans on an exboyfriend who I have no way of contacting.
Do you think you need to escape? Then email me! We'll have a great time! I'm loads of fun!

4 Comments:
I'D LOVE TO GO! I just wish I could... :( But, if you had asked me two months ago I would have booked my flight in seconds, (and my Spanish isn't half bad!). I'm sorry - honestly, I would have gone in a heartbeat...
January I can do! Seeing as how I don't even have a passport yet and I'm waiting for the swelling in my face to disappear before getting passport photos, I don't think November is going to happen. Seriously, any time with anyone!
Hey - "quit whining and do something about it" I would say Costa Rica suffices!! Sounds great - wish I could take off. LarryWinget.com if you need more of the "pitbull" for irritational motivation - works for me!
Jim
I'm so jealous...
;)
Post a Comment
<< Home