For the record, Mars never will rival the Moon in size or brightness, so stop calling the Nature Center
Did anyone else have a really bizarre and/or crappy week? Mine leaned more toward the craptacular side, but elements of the peculiar certainly snuck in, too. I blame it all on the Mars-Moon hoax or falling barometric pressure.
My favorite part of the week was, unbelievably, not spending $1,500 that I don't have to fix my car, but talking to the local ABC affiliate on Thursday about what animals do during floods. This interview was part of ABC's 93 hours of continuous coverage of Hurricane Katrina, which as we know, completely skipped over our area (on a related note: please keep the people of Mississippi and Louisiana in your thoughts. Wherever this storm hits, it will certainly cause mass destruction and hurt many people. Please consider making a donation to the Red Cross disaster relief fund).
Anyway, a reporter and cameraman came down to the nature center to ask me such hard-hitting questions as, "Can a snake bite through a plastic bucket?" and "Can you spell your name for me again?" In the middle of the interview, an older woman interrupted us, stood between me and the camera and said, "Do you have any need for a bag of fish heads?", then she handed me the bag and walked away. What the fuck?!? Does this happen at your office?
Unfortunately, this moment is lost forever because the cameraman had a faulty tape, necessitating us to refilm the entire interview. That sucked for me because I was incredibly articulate the first-time around and not so much the second time. Plus, the snake I was standing next to struck the glass of its aquarium every time I spoke. I don't know what I did to piss him off. I realized later that I forgot to brush my hair prior to the interview, so maybe it was offended by the gnarly rat's nest on my head. Who knows.
After the news crew left, I checked my email. In my inbox was a message from the Fish Head Lady (wow, no matter what I do in this life, I will never have a nickname that awesome). Fish Head Lady -- who I had never met prior to her Soy-Bombing my interview -- had emailed me pictures of the actual fish heads, along with some of her Boston terrier licking its lips near one of the heads. Seriously, does this kind of shit happen where you work? I know I'm still somewhat new to having a 'real' job, so I don't know know if strangers bombarding you with animal parts is, like, a normal thing for the working professional. Is it?
In a sea of personal and professional shit this week, that incident really rose to the surface. I did go on a blind date yesterday (swell guy, but I don't think I'm ready to date yet); someone stole my spare key from my front porch (I've never lived in fear before; now's my chance to practice my best Lifetime-movie-esque Woman in Peril); my dog needs puppy uppers; I have a potential $30,000 hole in my budget at work (like how I clarified that? As if you might be confused and think that I have $30,000 missing from my personal budget?); and I have the sneaking suspicion that I am doing the wrong thing with my career. How does one get to be independently wealthy? Please tell me.
Oy vey. At least I got to see Tommy Lee in speedos on his Nebraska show. That was both uplifting and inspirational.
My favorite part of the week was, unbelievably, not spending $1,500 that I don't have to fix my car, but talking to the local ABC affiliate on Thursday about what animals do during floods. This interview was part of ABC's 93 hours of continuous coverage of Hurricane Katrina, which as we know, completely skipped over our area (on a related note: please keep the people of Mississippi and Louisiana in your thoughts. Wherever this storm hits, it will certainly cause mass destruction and hurt many people. Please consider making a donation to the Red Cross disaster relief fund).
Anyway, a reporter and cameraman came down to the nature center to ask me such hard-hitting questions as, "Can a snake bite through a plastic bucket?" and "Can you spell your name for me again?" In the middle of the interview, an older woman interrupted us, stood between me and the camera and said, "Do you have any need for a bag of fish heads?", then she handed me the bag and walked away. What the fuck?!? Does this happen at your office?
Unfortunately, this moment is lost forever because the cameraman had a faulty tape, necessitating us to refilm the entire interview. That sucked for me because I was incredibly articulate the first-time around and not so much the second time. Plus, the snake I was standing next to struck the glass of its aquarium every time I spoke. I don't know what I did to piss him off. I realized later that I forgot to brush my hair prior to the interview, so maybe it was offended by the gnarly rat's nest on my head. Who knows.
After the news crew left, I checked my email. In my inbox was a message from the Fish Head Lady (wow, no matter what I do in this life, I will never have a nickname that awesome). Fish Head Lady -- who I had never met prior to her Soy-Bombing my interview -- had emailed me pictures of the actual fish heads, along with some of her Boston terrier licking its lips near one of the heads. Seriously, does this kind of shit happen where you work? I know I'm still somewhat new to having a 'real' job, so I don't know know if strangers bombarding you with animal parts is, like, a normal thing for the working professional. Is it?
In a sea of personal and professional shit this week, that incident really rose to the surface. I did go on a blind date yesterday (swell guy, but I don't think I'm ready to date yet); someone stole my spare key from my front porch (I've never lived in fear before; now's my chance to practice my best Lifetime-movie-esque Woman in Peril); my dog needs puppy uppers; I have a potential $30,000 hole in my budget at work (like how I clarified that? As if you might be confused and think that I have $30,000 missing from my personal budget?); and I have the sneaking suspicion that I am doing the wrong thing with my career. How does one get to be independently wealthy? Please tell me.
Oy vey. At least I got to see Tommy Lee in speedos on his Nebraska show. That was both uplifting and inspirational.

5 Comments:
I must say that I am disappointed that you haven't included the fish head/boston terrier pic on your blog. It sounds pretty freakin great to me!
I've never been interviewed. I'm not that important nor am I even allowed to. What a bummer.
I can honestly admit that my day will probably never involve fish heads. I'm not too disappointed in that. I'm sorry that yours does.
Oh, and listen to JB she's a smart cookie. (who doubles for Katie Holmes I hear)
I am with the tool. I want to see the pics, and I also want you to come up with a cool and catchy nickname for me...please.
The key to becoming independently wealthy is...well, i'm still working on it myself. I'll let you know when I find out.
I posted a while back about being a fan of Seth Walker's music. Is this the same Seth we speak of? How do you come to know "Seth Walker" music. Just curious - he's my brother in law, and hoping that his music is spreading.
I also enjoy your writing - but I don't ever come across animal parts or pieces in my line of work. So congrats on that!
bye,
JB
you have two fans nicknamed "JB"
Never mind - i figured it out - you stopped by my blog and commented on it already, that's why I kept having Dejavu all over again. Sorry for the annoying post questions. :-)
-JB
Post a Comment
<< Home