Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Happy 2-week anniversary to me


Today is the 2-week anniversary of the last time I slept. No joke. The most sleep I've gotten in a single night in the last 14 days is about two hours. Most nights it's no sleep at all -- just me laying perfectly still, trying not to count my heartbeats or think about work or wonder why I'm not sleeping. As a result (I think it's a result of insomnia...I hope it is), I've been experiencing vertigo and a loss of depth perception. My kitchen floor is covered in tiny shards of glass from all of the drinking glasses that I've tried setting on the counter. You know how insidious broken glass is...you think you've cleaned it all up, but then, what do you know, you slice off your little toe.

Monday night Traveling Man gave me a call. I leapt at the chance to meet him at the lovely Hampton Inn, his preferred hotel, and not just because of the potential for booty. Honestly, my first thought was, "A different bed! Maybe that's what I need to sleep!" I was relieved when I got to his room and found him all drowsy and already underneath the covers. Sweet! No sex!

I crawled into bed and he was all warm, which was nice. For a few moments, I was excited -- maybe this would be THE night. I was in a new bed in a different room with a (somewhat) familiar sleeping partner -- how could I not sleep?

The Hampton Inn, lovely as it is, has very obnoxious room fresheners in its rooms. These bizarre devices noisily release an unidentifiable scent every 15 minutes. I can't explain why any hotel would put loud air fresheners in its rooms any more than I can explain why a manufacturer would produce loud air fresheners in the first place. All I know is that I spent the next six hours thinking that each "scent release" was the final one, only to be abruptly disturbed minutes later.

My agitation was such that Traveling Man moved to the other bed in the room. I toss and turn a lot when I'm sleeping soundly; I can't imagine what it's like to sleep next to me when I'm fully conscious and completely annoyed.

So, the new bed plus warm bed buddy didn't work. This sleeplessness is, not surprisingly, affecting my ability to concentrate at work -- or at anything; I've been trying to write a Lepidoptera Lady post for the last two hours, but I just can't get my thoughts to gel.

Now, you know I'm in bad shape when I can't write about butterflies and I don't want to have sex.

I'm going to the doctor on Monday, mainly just to find out if the insomnia is the symptom of something other than stress. I have mixed feelings about getting any drugs. Traveling Man pointed out that since I already have vertigo, I don't really need any other drugs. I can make the world spin all on my own, thank you.

I would give anything to sleep again, but I don't want to be getting used to sleeping pills right before my Montana interview next week. Then again, I don't want to be nodding off during my interview either. Although that would make for a great post.

"Dude, one moment I was talking about my experience developing youth programs; the next moment I was passed out, drooling on Meriwether Lewis' journal. They made me buy it."

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ambien+empty stomach+stay awake as long as you can=unicorns driving school buses.

i second TEd's suggestion.

8:34 AM  
Blogger Amy N. said...

That happens to me too when I have a lot going on, and I hate taking drugs unless I absolutely have to. JB's probably right about stress being a factor; it sounds like you've got more than your fair share.

I read somewhere that men and women process and compartmentalize information differently and that's why men tend to fall right asleep and women have to keep thinking things over until they come to a resolution. Whether that's true or not, I hope you manage to get some sleep soon.

5:33 PM  
Blogger BPDubs said...

My mom, fellow insomniac, did the short-term Ambien thing, and that worked for her, so I think I might try and go in that direction. I do like the idea of unicorns driving schoolbuses.

If there were any other activities going on in my life for me to drop, I would, but there aren't. The only thing I have going on is my job. Oh well, I guess I have to leave...

I know it's stress keeping me up. I frequently stress over financial worries, which sometimes keeps me up at night. But now I have the job interview thing that has me all wound up...and, oh dear god, what if they offer me the job -- how will I get out of my lease? How will I move out there? Where will I live? It all snowballs.

And the whole being desperately unhappy thing keeps me up, too.

Today, I got a message from a museum I applied to in North Carolina. They want me to come out for an interview. I feel like the comment section here is the only place I can write about this (unless you are reading the comments, dear coworker...which you probably are). So, I'm going to call tomorrow and see if they're planning on flying me up there for an interview. Even if I'm not seriously considering the job, how sweet would it be to get two free trips in one month? Add that to my Costa Rica trip, and, by god, I won't be in Florida at all in February!

Last night, I slept about three hours, which is my new record. I was so physically tired -- couldn't move my legs, couldn't keep my eyes open -- so I thought sleeping would be easy for once. However, I just couldn't turn my mind off.

Oh, to be a man and just not think.

:)

Thank you for your happy thoughts!

9:16 PM  
Blogger Lin said...

Sleep disorders are temporary, but horrible. Take whatever the doc gives you and get yourself back on track again. Without proper sleep, all issues and emotions are magnified. You need your sleep, sweetie, so take the doc's advice and give into it.

10:46 PM  
Blogger Askani said...

I work nights and sometimes it's tough to sleep when it's all sunny outside and the gardeners are working with leaf blowers, anyways, I use benadryl. A doctor said benadryl is safe enough to take every day for the rest of your life and there are no fears of overdosing. I can take about 75mg and sleep darn good.

best of luck with MT - I see that we are going to have to meet up in vegas on your weekends (should be a cheap flight) and jb will come too and we'll school ya on gambling, lol. How do you live in Atlantic City and not gamble?? Good luck with everything, I mean that.

12:17 AM  
Blogger JB said...

The good: NC, MT, endless opportunities
The Bad: no sleep til...(brooklyn?) u don't wanna' go there. Anyway - my advice - since u asked...physical exertion. Some blood flow, sweat, whatever u need to do *sex does count* always alleviates my mind and stresses. most of them anway.

That and I say to myself - self, this could be so much worse (or) I think about the unfortunate folks that are jammed into a house full of 23 people and don't have any food. They don't have jobs, they don't have health - see? doesn't that help??

oh, Good luck by the way.

1:29 PM  
Blogger bayou_boy504 said...

I would have liked going to school a lot more than I did if there were unicorns driving the school buses.

10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home