Saturday, August 06, 2005

If a hurricane or earthquake screws up this trip, I will be so pissed

Oy, it's been a rough week. To those who sent warm thoughts my way regarding my kitty, thank you. The apartment is definitely not the same without him. Foxy was really droopy the first morning without him, and I've been droopier than usual. But we'll get through it. It was for the best; I did everything that I could (or at least what I thought was fair to a cat who can't tell me how he really feels) . I couldn't have loved him any more and he couldn't have been a better cat. We had a good run.

I'm leaving at the ass-crack of dawn tomorrow for Montana. When I moved to Florida 2 1/2 years ago, or so, it was just supposed to be a temporary thing before I went to grad school in Washington state. So, I left most of my belongings in a storage unit in western Montana. However, Florida sucked me in and I'm kind of tired of paying $70/month to store my things 3,000 miles away from me, so I'm liberating my junk.

I bet there are all kinds of neat things in storage units across western Montana. Every time I think Floridians are kind of nutty, I'm reminded of the Aryan Nation, the Freemen, Kaczynski, Ted Turner -- all sorts of much nuttier nuts (the Jordan almonds of wack jobs, if you will) that have deep Montanan roots. Anyway, I'm sure some of these folks have some neat documents and weaponry in storage units across the state.

What do I have in my storage unit? Good question. Aside from a smattering of body parts of ex-boyfriends, I'm not totally sure. My books are definitely there. My winter clothes, which I hope I'll never need again. And I'm sure they're totally out of style. They've already been hidden from the light of day for nearly 3 years, and when you consider that Montana is a few years behind the curve anyway (I'm just being honest), I bet I have a special sampling of the late '90s in my storage unit.

So, that's what I'm doing with my summer vacation. This is the only time my Montana friends can take vacation, too, so no one will be in town when I'm there. Awesome. I get to return to my college town and get rowdy...by myself. Jealous? And to make this vacation even more exciting -- besides flying from Tampa to Phoenix to Spokane, then renting a car (4 months, 4 months, and I wouldn't have to pay that damn under 25 surcharge), and driving three hours into Montana tomorrow -- I overdrew my bank account with all of my vet bills this week. Yay! Vacation with no money! It's all a girl could ever want!

I'm bringing my laptop with me, and since no one will be around, I assume I'll be using it a lot. I apologize for my surliness. I've been up at my parents' house, hanging around my teenage brother and sister for the past 36 hours. My 15-year-old sister is actually a little ray of sunshine; I even got her to ear-candle today (this wasn't difficult; she's much more into ear cleanliness than I am). The 13-year-old brother, though. Oh, dude. There are no words, mostly because he refuses to utter any around us. One of the little old ladies at work said that this behavior is nature's gift to parents: kids are absolutely unbearable in the teenage years, just before they leave the house. This makes them very easy to say goodbye to when they go off to college. And then they come back as normal human beings!

Anyway, I hope that his surliness didn't rub off on me too much. It's been a hard week, with Ernie, with getting ready to leave, getting things in order at work and all that. Oh, awesome thing on my last day before vacation: while the campers were in the planetarium, someone (we're 99% sure it was three teenagers loitering around the nature center in the morning) broke into their classroom, went through all of the camper lunch boxes and stole their vending machine money. Isn't that sweet? The thieves made off with a grand total of $18.25 and drank one little girl's orange juice. And of course, they freaked out all the little kids. What is wrong with people?

Man, fuck packing up the storage unit. I'm going to sit on the river and drink beer all week. I earned it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Askani said...

You have most definately earned a spot near water where you can grab some beer. I'm thinking something along a Corona comerical. Wish it was possible...

bummer.

Have a safe trip! I always find fun and interesting stuff when I go through my storage - hope it's the same for you. :)

1:17 AM  
Blogger JB said...

I was steered in the direction of your blog by a link to Seth Walker's music - which I think is the same Seth Walker that I'm talking about - as he's my brother in Law (in Austin, TX) and just was curious...after reading about your tumultous past week- I too hope you have a rejuvenating (at the least) experience on your trip.

Good luck
JB

5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home