Visitors to my front porch this week
I love living in Florida. You never know what's going to be waiting to greet you on your porch when you get home. The other night, I returned home and there was the little guy you see above, just waiting to say hi. I'm going to get all Naturalist-y for a moment, so bear with me.
Cuban treefrogs, like the one above, are actually quite destructive since they out-compete native treefrogs for food and they eat the eggs of native treefrogs. They are everywhere. It's just a good lesson about what happens when exotic animals -- like frogs, toads, lizards, people from Ohio -- are released in Florida: they thrive. The weather is great all the time (well, except for Hurricane Season, June 1 -- November 1) and food is plentiful, so when these animals start colonizing here, it's really hard to eradicate them. People from the Great Lakes states are especially difficult to eradicate.
Thursday afternoon I left my apartment to run some errands. As I was locking my door, I heard some movement in the grass and someone staring at me. I slowly turned around and saw these visitors:

A dozen ducks, just staring at me. It was as odd as it looks; they didn't move when I walked past them, just kind of nodded their heads to say "'sup?" I think Ernie, Foxy, and Hef (cat, dog, rabbit) had something planned for when I left and the ducks just showed up early. As I drove away, the ducks just walked closer to my door, confirming this theory.
Since the weather is so crappy (thanks, Dennis), I'll probably post again today because I have nothing to do and no visitors on the porch to hang out with. Good times.


2 Comments:
This post was hilarious. And adorable. Maybe the animals (and the Ohioans) are sensing Dennis' arrival in your area and asking for shelter. Hope I'm wrong about the Dennis-arrival part. And I will NEVER call it Dennis the Menace ... those dumb tag lines for natural disasters are so annoying!
Hot weather guys are wonderful, though. Way to see the silver cloud on that one!
Post a Comment
<< Home