Thursday, July 07, 2005

Wedge of ambiguity

I'm happy to say that I've finally recuperated from 4th of July weekend...well, except for the sinus ache, nasal drip, and muscle soreness. Other than those things -- which are a joy, believe me -- I'm slightly reenergized since last weekend and completely ready for ... a hurricane?!? What the hell? It's only the beginning of July and we're on our 4th named storm? What a load of crap. It has a cliche-ready name, too, so it better not hit because I don't want to see headlines referring to Dennis the Menace. Last summer, I had to put up with people saying, "Sorry, Charley," or referencing "Ivan the Terrible" or "Mean Jeanne." "Frances" I could deal with because no one could think of anything cutesy to say about that name other than "ha ha, your name is Frances."

At any rate, lame name or not, I've already gone out and bought my first two gallons of water, just in case. Lest we forget, Charley was not supposed to come here until three hours before it hit, and in those three hours, the storm not only took a sharp jog east, but also went from a category 2 ("oh shit") to a category 4 ("holy shit"). I plan on cocooning this weekend (or since I'm into butterflies, perhaps I'll pupate).

That reminds me of the drinking game we played during Charley until we lost power: take a drink every time the weather dude says "hunker down" or "cone of possibility" (two drinks if they say "funnel of uncertainty"). At least it's times like these that give the Weather Channel the opportunity to send that hot Jim Cantore out on the front lines. Mmmm, I loves me a nice shiny bald head.

In completely unrelated news, I got a call the other night from my good friend that someone we knew fairly well in high school has changed her name to Bunny McIntosh, which is a funny name considering where we went to high school. Having some time to kill (or work I didn't want to do, but whatever), I googled her. And wouldn't you know, she's pretty well known out there. This girl (if she's not giving her real name, neither will I) was always really talented -- incredible singer, in a few movies, a Mormon...all kinds of stuff. I was totally surprised to see that this is what she's been up to, not that I expected her to do one thing or another. I guess it's just strange seeing where people are a few years down the road. I know no one would expect me to be at the Nature Center handling alligators and snakes, but I don't know where one would expect to find me. (The correct answer from my fellow classmates would be "why, BPW, we expected to find your name on a book spine and on the list of the latest Pulitzer winners!" not "BP-who?").

So, that's been my fun for the last day, hacking up pieces of my lungs and thinking of Dennis and Bunny McIntosh. What will tomorrow bring, I wonder...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home